Chris Chaplin – Golf Professional – Profile
Chris is an Australian PGA Professional with many years experience as a club and teaching professional throughout Australia and overseas.
Chris is experienced custom club fitter and can custom fit name brand clubs and offer advice on equipment.
He coaches all level of golfers from beginner to elite level and has an excellent reputation as a coach and a fine record of junior development and guiding talented juniors to the highest levels.
- PGA traineeship with Charlie Earp at Royal QLD Golf Club.
- Club Professional Royal Hobart Golf Club.
- Club Professional Kelab Golf Sarawak Malaysia.
- Head Teaching Professional Nudgee Golf Club.
- Head Coach National Golf Institute.
- Head Coach Nudgee International College Golf Program.
- Lectured for the UNE on teaching golf.
- Opened an academy in China.
- Key note presenter three years running Hong Kong PGA members annual coaching conference.
- Head Teaching Professional Keperra Golf Club.
- Teaching Professional Royal Qld Golf Club.
- Coaching Scott Hend to the US PGA tour and have coaching at some time of their careers, Ryan Haller, Trudy Jeffery, Chris Gibson, Matt Ferguson and other Australian and overseas professionals and Matt Goggin and Gavin Flint as amateurs and national team members Tiger Lee and Martin Liu (Hong Kong), Boni Kim (Korea) and Fumio Matsumoto (Japan).
Chris is available for lessons at the Sandgate Golf Club or the Victoria Park Golf Complex. Members as well as the general public are welcome. Lessons will cover all aspects of the long and short game.
Available lesson times are as follows:
- Wednesdays 1pm to dusk
- Fridays 1pm to dusk
- Saturdays 2:30pm to dusk.
- Half hour $45.00 incl GST and balls.
- One hour $80.00 incl GST and balls.
Bookings essential. Please contact Chris direct.
Mobile: 0410 521 162
On Course Playing Lessons
These will be conducted on course at Sandgate Golf Club and will cover nine holes over a two hour period. Available for one to four players. With multiple players it is best if the group is of a similar level of ability.
- Nine holes 1 to 2 people members $160.00 incl GST.
- Nine holes 3 to 4 people members $200.00 incl GST.
Non members will pay the same fees plus green fees for nine holes.
These will be conducted at the Sandgate Golf Club covering both long and short game techniques and on course playing.
Fees will vary dependent on clinic type, duration and numbers.
Golf Equipment and Custom Club Fitting
Chris is a Wilson Staff Sports Professional and can supply at very competitive prices, a full range of Wilson clubs, bags, gloves and balls.
Chris has a Wilson Staff fitting cart and has a mini flight scope providing data on ball flight.
Bookings for custom club fitting sessions are essential and fitting fees will be deducted from the purchase price.
*** UPDATE ***
Chris is excited about a new set of clubs that are out – the Wilson Staff D9 – an improved version of the very popular D7. The new model has slightly smaller head size and finer lines in the irons and different club face metal with the hybrids, fairway woods and driver. Wilson have sold a stack of these recently and Chris would like members of the Club to be aware of these. They are easy to hit and produce a great ball flight and good distance. The D9 beats the D7 for flight and distancewhich is amazing as the D7 was long.
If you want a club that is easy to hit and offers great flight and distance you can’t beat the new Wilson Staff D9 model.
US PGA player Gary Woodland uses the 3 and 5 fairway woods. Chris says they are so much cheaper than many of the other brands and can be purchased individually or in sets. They are available in right or left hand, men’s and ladies models and can be custom fitted, so Chris can fit them on site at Sandgate GC.
Recommended retail prices are:
- Driver: $499.00
- Fairway wood: $299.00
- Hybrid: $249.00
- Iron Steel Shaft: $139.00
- Iron Graphite Shaft: $159.00
Re-gripping and replacement of soft spikes on golf shoes
Chris now offers replacement of golf club grips and also replacement of soft spikes on golf shoes. Members can leave their clubs or shoes with Kevin or Peter and Chris will get them repaired and back to you as soon as possible. For the variety of grips available, please see the samples and brochures on display in the downstairs ‘Pro Shop’. If you would like to order a grip that Chris doesn’t stock, he will be able to arrange to have these couriered and fitted within a few days.
- Wilson Staff Golf Equipment: www.wilson.com/en-us/golf
- Wilson Staff Custom Club Fitting: www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/custom-clubs
- Club re-gripping service: www.golfimports.com.au/catalogue.html
- Golf shoe soft spike replacement: www.golfimports.com.au/catalogue.html
Chris and the Sandgate Golf Club are committed to junior golf development and welcome any juniors in the local area from seven years and older to participate in the junior program and become a junior member of the Club.
Clinics will be conducted during the school terms weekly on a Wednesday afternoon at the Sandgate Golf Club from 3.45 to 4.45 pm, and once every third Saturday afternoon at the Club from 2.30 to 4.30 pm, for on course playing.
Fees are $50.00 for the term and you can register through the Club. Contact the Secretary/Manager Peter Coddington on;
Phone: 3269 3252
It is the aim of the Club to build junior numbers to begin a junior competition on Sunday mornings and develop a junior Pennant Team good enough to win a junior flag in the near future.
Any assistance from interested parents or members would be greatly appreciated in becoming part of the junior program. Golf experience and having a blue card or ability to obtain one will be necessary to assist.
Phone: 0410 521 162
You can also contact Chris through the Sandgate Golf Club on (07) 3269 3252